31 January 2011

wear red lipstick.

This one goes out to all of my girl friends...

My day started out like usual. The four alarms I set - two on my cell and two on my super old school, 1980's alarm clock (both semi-strategically placed in opposite corners of my room so as to force myself to get out of bed) - went off at 7:30, 7:31, 7:32, and 7:33 (yes, you read correctly. I tend to get a little sassy and play hard to get with my alarm clock in the morning). Once I finally forced myself to get out from under my ridiculously comfortable down comforter and slipped on my fuzzy bathrobe and fleece booties, I began to get ready for work. 

Typically my "getting ready process" is one chaotic whirlwind. I basically leave myself with *no* time to get ready (as I need all the sleep I can get), which leaves me to run around like a crazy person so I can get to work on time (my version of "on-time" is anywhere in the 9am hour thanks to my awesome boss). With that being said, I normally skip the make up and hair (no really, there are days when I literally do not brush it, but somehow, people really think I actually do), allowing just enough time to brush my teeth, wash my face, throw on an incredibly haphazard outfit (think shirt that I could wear to a club, covered by a cardi, over some leggings, paired with shoes that I grab as I'm rushing out the door). 

Maybe because I actually went to sleep at a decent time (translation:  before midnight), I woke up feeling refreshed and energetic this morning. Instead of rushing around my house (I really do get a nice mini work out with all of my running around), I took some time for myself. I checked my mail, scoped out some more apartments for me and Kaitlin, checked facebook and then started to get ready. When it came time to get dressed, I found myself carefully selecting my outfit, choosing a trendy black suit I purchased five years ago. I took the time to find my favorite pair of nude snakeskin pumps and decided to blow out my hair for once. I then rummaged around my vanity for my newly acquired tube of red lipstick (thanks, Saadia!) that I've been dying to try, but admittedly too nervous to wear to work.

The second I was done carefully applying my bright red lipstick and black eyeliner, I knew that my day was going to be different than most. I surveyed myself in the mirror and dashed out to my car noting an extra bounce in my step. Quite simply, I felt fabulous. And that feeling remained with me the entire day. I realized the truth in what any fashion magazine is always trying to convey: If you look great, you will feel great.  This doesn't mean that you need to be a supermodel or a fashion icon to look great. It just means that if you take two seconds to take time for yourself in the morning, it can do wonders for your day. Today, I dressed up for me. Not for my job. Not for a meeting. And not for the residents who pass by my office hourly (although they make for some nice eye candy). In doing so, I was more confident, I commanded more respect, and I was more in control of my day. I felt like I was making a statement, not only with my red lipstick, but my newly acquired, ultra positive attitude. 

So, go ahead, and make a statement. Wear the red lipstick, funky patent leather shoes, or black tights you've been dying to wear but too afraid to. Trust me, not only will you look fabulous, you'll feel fabulous.


2 comments:

  1. in addition to red lipstick, black stilettos do wonders! swear. combine the two = drop dead sexy!

    i think you should rock some red lips friday night. just don't leave any traces behind ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! well said, red lipstick friday night ;) court, my internet was down all day. We need to discuss wardrobe options for friday :)
    Love the post! I knew that color was perfect for you. So glad you gathered the confidence to wear it!Even if you pick out your outfit the night before, it will save you loads of time in the morning!

    ReplyDelete