05 January 2011

you say you want a resolution.

Oh new year's resolutions. Where do I begin. First and foremost, I must admit that I have never been 100% successful with any prior NYR (new year's resolutions). I always try really hard in the beginning and then...well, the inevitable happens. And it's not that I forget about them. When I was eleven or twelve I insisted on writing everything in calligraphy. Cards, school projects, you name it, it was in calligraphy. So it was only natural that when the new year rolled around, I carefully wrote out all of my resolutions on a fancy piece of parchment paper and tacked it right above my bed. Sadly, I was probably more dedicated to my penmanship than any resolution I made that year.


I honestly believe that the reason why my NYR are always mega failures is twofold. First, I create lofty goals with no plan of attack. What's the point of an NYR if there's no action plan? How am I supposed to make a change in my life if I have no idea how to do it? Second, I tend to lose motivation rather quickly. Probably as a result of my lack of planning. I am hoping that this *realization* will allow me to follow through with my 2011 resolutions...


Without further ado, I present my NYR (in no particular order):


1)  Create a peaceful living environment. For anyone who *really* knows me, you are aware of the fact that I am, in short, one hot mess when it comes to my living space. This is probably due to the fact that I am always in a rush (see below). Case in point - my sister couldn't even sit down in my room last night given its state of disaster. I have a horrible habit of getting undressed and leaving my clothes wherever they land. I also tend to change purses twenty times a week, so the contents are strewn throughout my room in the most haphazard fashion. I am terrible at going through my mail (thank goodness for e-mail), so it tends to pile up wherever space is available. However, the most ironic thing about this is that I am *ridiculously* organized when it comes to my work. If I'm not organized at my job, I simply cannot operate effectively or efficiently. Which brings me to the conclusion that if I have organization in my own personal space then perhaps I wouldn't always be running around like a crazy person, blaming the entire world for misplacing my keys for the millionth time or trying to find my favorite lip gloss when I was supposed to be out the door twenty minutes ago (and maybe, if I ever - and hopefully I don't - get pulled over again, the cop won't have to lecture me about taking time to get my life organized). I also think that this idea of a peaceful living environment will help me find better peace of mind. And who doesn't need that? Taking the advice of two very important people in my life - my mom and Saadia - I am going to start setting aside 15 minutes a day to just get organized. I am also well on my way to finding an apartment - something I've needed and have been looking for, for quite some time now. So there you go, a plan and motivation. NYR #1. Check.


2) Stop being in a rush. all.the.time. The following quote basically defines my chaotic lifestyle, "I was going to be late. Again....Suddenly, an image of the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland appeared in my mind. He was clutching a large golden pocket watch while huffing and puffing, 'I'm late, I'm late!' My own version of the frantic refrain started playing on a loop: 'cmon, come on, come f*cking on. I'm late! I'm late! I'm late! I'm laaate!" (-Lorna Martin). This constant state of rushing around is, by no means, healthy. And, it by no means, can lead to a peaceful lifestyle. I know that I juggle probably one too many things. And, I know that I probably will always be like that. However, if I learn to prioritize, learn to say "no," and have self discipline when it comes to the tempting distractions littering my life (hello facebook!), then perhaps, I won't always be envisioning the infamous white rabbit. 


3) Do not give in to the temptation of sugar. Some people have a sweet tooth. Not me. I have a full set. All thirty flipping two crave and delight in the taste of sugary foods. Before I go any further, I have to address the fact that, minus the sugar, I am pretty healthy. I don't eat fatty foods. I love fruits and vegetables. I'm ecstatic to start using my newly acquired Quinoa 365 cookbook. Sugar, however, is my downfall. It sabotages every last effort I have to eat healthy. I simply cannot resist the temptation of chocolate. However, with the encouragement of my best friend, I am slowly eliminating sugar from my life, so that it becomes an indulgence, rather than an everyday necessity. I completely understand the utter lack of nutritional value offered by sugar and the detrimental impact sugar has on one's mental and physical well-being. I also want my pearly whites to remain intact when I'm old and gray. 


4) Create my master plan. Thanks to OWN and Saadia, I am (and have been) creating my master plan. This is not a plan designed to define every aspect of my life. I already figured out that those plans don't exist, no matter how much you want them to. I'll save my master plan for it's own separate post, but in the meantime, take a look at this video to give you some insight....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm73PfeQrkM


5) Be patient. Not only with others, but with myself as well. Take a deep breath when I find myself losing patience. Close my eyes, reach inside of me and find the patience I know I have...and use it. 



6) Continue to set goals, dream, and live my life to the fullest. Everyday. No matter what sets me back.


7) Finally, go to sleep early. Find the time - make the time - to get nine hours of sleep every night, so that I can wake up, refreshed and ready to take on the day.


G'nite. 

3 comments:

  1. Court,

    Just so you know, you inspire my life just as much as I inspire yours. The relationship between us is not just a friendship, you really are a sister to me and if I had another brother, I would have made sure that happened! What is sacred and irreplaceable to me is that you can genuinely be happy for me when things are good and seriously concerned when not. You feel what I feel; it feels just as good or may hurt just as bad.
    I had to write this and let you know because beyond our craziness and the masquerade of thoughts that take over our minds, we all need to take 15 minutes, just as I told you. Today, my fifteen minutes are written in these words. I want you to know how special you are and I don't know what I would do without you. Keep up the resolutions, I know you can follow through with all of them!

    p.s. i totally almost ruined your last resolution of getting enough sleep, by txting you at 12, sorry abt that!

    Saadia

    ReplyDelete
  2. how's your NYR going, court? wanna know mine? just broke one yesterday. by spending $160 at jcrew. but i "saved" over $80 using their 30% discount. does that count? lol :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Saadia. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I do not know what I would do without your presence in my life. Words cannot even begin to describe my gratitude for the friendship we have. You truly are my Christina!

    @ Tram...Anytime you save, it counts...per Courtney's Retail Therapy 101.

    ReplyDelete